Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer recently provided tips to aid individuals to protect themselves from identity theft:
- Shred all documents containing personal, financial or medical information before you throw them out.
- Be cautious using debit cards. Don’t use at gas pumps or for shopping online.
- Don’t respond to e-mails, calls or texts seeking sensitive information. Legitimate companies don’t seek customers’ information this way.
- Create strong passwords that mix letters, numbers and special characters, and use different passwords for different accounts.
- Lock your mailbox. Stolen mail is a leading cause of identity theft.
- Don’t keep your license, title and registration in your glove compartment.